Saturday, January 3, 2015

Seven Years - Dannika Dark [Seven]

Seven Years - Dannika Dark [Seven]
Source: Kindle
Originally Reviewed on Goodreads: January 3, 2015
Rating: ★★★★★

There is a lot I could say about this book. A ton. Really, don't doubt me. I could probably ramble all day about it. That'd involve a lot of spoilers, though, and that's not what I'm about. Not here.

What I will say is I was beyond impressed. Shifters seem to be one of those plot elements that just about every paranormal or urban fantasy author is using these days, and they can get tiring, quickly, if they're not done well. Dannika Dark has done something wonderful with the Shifter device. There's something refreshing and interesting about it that makes me want to keep reading, pick up the next book, and read some more. And more, and more, and more.

The imagery in a lot of the scenes, both intimate and not, was amazing. I don't often highlight things in fiction books, but this book is now chalk-full of them because I don't want to forget my favorite scenes, and it's not just enough to bookmark. I want to remember specific moments that took my breath away, made my heart melt, my stomach muscles clench or made me just go "awwe!"

There was one moment towards the end that had me completely melting, and absolutely jonesing for Denver's story:

Austin had warned me Denver's wolf had a vicious and unpredictable nature, one that couldn't be trusted.
Except with a six-year-old little girl who adored him.

Seriously. Read the book if only for that scene alone. For the interactions between Denver and Lexi's little sister. Fan-fucking-tastic.

The Characters

Lexi, I love. She's sharp, witty, strong - but not so strong as to be beyond reasonable. She may start off as being uber irritated with Austin, but she's not above admitting when it was good for him to show up. The mental dialogue and, well, actually most things involving her and her wolf are a total crack-up.

Austin... okay, it takes him a while. A long while. I just couldn't warm up to him, because things having to do with Lexi aside, I didn't see much of a man out of him. Not to say that's a bad thing, but he's supposed to be an Alpha. Alpha's can't be Alpha's only when there's a woman around, human or other. In general, he doesn't have much that interests me, but as a partner to Lexi, he's perfect. Just wish that wasn't all he was perfect about.

Some Notes:

Okay, I have one serious, serious gripe about this book: What's up with all of the random guys groping Lexi? I mean, it'd be one thing if it was chalked up to human guys getting caught up in the whole Heat thing, or if these random guys happened to be Shifters as well, but... throughout the book they're just random guys that happen upon Lexi and try to grope or otherwise sexually assault Lexi.

I couldn't put this one down. Seriously, it was gripping and I kept wanting to know what would happen. It had everything I wanted in a book. Despite Austin's shortcomings, his character with Lexi more than made up for it. The interactions and roles of the other characters made me crave their stories, find out what made them the people and wolves they became in Austin's pack. Anybody who enjoys books with a thick plot, supernatural elements, and lots of fun will absolutely love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment